Lowering Roof onto bedding

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lowering Roof onto bedding

Post by Cliff Durant on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 am

Here is a past post from our brilliant membership about just what you maybe able leave up in the roof and lowering it.
although this is not a recomendation. and it's all at your own risk.

Barry Jones
15 months ago
Has anybody any experience of leaving in place bedding (double sleeping bag) before lowering the roof and driving away for the day to another venue?

I guess the issue is not whether it would impede the folding in of the battens but whether there is enough residual space so the motor is not put under added strain as the aluminium roof descends.

It's difficult to judge just what residual space there might be and for this reason I'm reluctant to try it without putting the question out there first.

For example, does the control box flag up when there's any squashing going on ...?
Lewis
15 months ago
We leave a sheet and underblanket on the mattress all the time, with no problem. I doubt if there is enough room for sleeping bag(s), but difficult to be sure.

If there is some 'obstruction (e.g. a book, or an inhaler - both have happened to us) the roof just does not shut properly, and you do not get the closed 'tick' or the closed logo on the control panel. And the motor just carries on whirring away. No harm was done, but we always check very carefully.
Barry Jones
15 months ago
OK so if a book stops a proper closing then I guess a double sleeping bag would, too - as you suggest.
My next question was going to be: so what about a 2" Raskelf topper, then (as well as the sleeping bag) ... but I guess not, now.

Thanks for the feedback.
Michael Wingate
15 months ago
Do remove all small children before lowering the roof
Lewis
15 months ago
True, Michael . . . . . I know a number of others here use mem foam mattresses, but whether they leave them in the bed / roof no man's land I don't know.
Liz Lawes
15 months ago
We were the same as Lewis - we had a fitted sheet and mattress protector on the upper bed all the time and roof lowered fine. The pillows and duvet we carried in the back until we got to our next destination and then put them on the bed and pushed it out of the way until we went to bed.

We did try to keep the quilt on and lower the roof but it didn't connect down properly as was too thick.
Barry Jones
15 months ago
OK, Liz, if your quilt stopped the lowering properly, then I'm sure a double sleeping bag will. Oh well ..
Barry Matthews
15 months ago
Tried leaving a few bedding items inc just sleeping bags and roof fails to close. So that is a no to sleeping bags :-( This would have been very useful. Like others we leave just a sheet on during trips
Paul Hook
15 months ago
And I was hoping to keep both children up there!!!!
Barry Matthews
15 months ago
lol - Children shaped dents in the roof! Wonder if VW would fix that under warrenty?
Tony Cosgrove
15 months ago
Can confirm all the above comments, except leaving small children up there, the roof simply won't close properly with sleeping bags/duvets/pillows in position. However, the windscreen blind and the the two side window blinds can be left there, opened out, and it saves all the faffing about with pop up blinds and the flexible poles (carbon fibre not....!!) I've got it down to a fine art now and the front screen blind comes off the bed and falls nicely into place on the screen. Reverse procedure is equally easy.
Facebook User
What a good idea Tony. Do you leave the window and windscreen blinds on top of the mattress or in the space under the wooden slats?
Tony Cosgrove
15 months ago
We put them straight on top of the mattress. We also leave the sheet and a thin mattress cover in position, as well. No problems closing. Pleased to help! The two pillows go into a Lakeland bedding bag and the duvet also into another one and both these fit very neatly on the back shelf.
Jason Brayley
15 months ago
That's a brilliant idea Tony - had never occurred to me to do that!
I must admit fiddling about with the windscreen blind every night is not something i look forward to especially when it's raining
Mark Brett
15 months ago
Great minds think alike Tony - have to admit that getting the windscreen blind down is not as easy as it sounds- but much easier than re-constructing it every night though!

Cliff Durant
I might just add that we always leave the base duvet that we sleep on (5 tog) up on the bed and lower the roof, seems crazy not to use the space if it's there to be used. Cliff

Cliff Durant

Back to top Go down

Re: Lowering Roof onto bedding

Post by joeaguilar on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:47 am

Cliff,
We have about a 5 tog duvet, always taking up space in the back. Definitely trying this one!
We just leave a sheet. Did squash a book in once, found it when we opened the roof! It seems that the centre is less critical than the sides - not a scientific answer, just the impression I get...

joeaguilar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cliff Durant on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi Joe
I think you are correct, the middle portion is not quite so critical as the border "kerb" of the raised roof where two opposing plates meet.
The duvet does however have to be shaped exactly to the mattress profile and held down by a fitted sheet whilst the roof is closing, it works perfectly. this is of course a base duvet which is very comfortably slept "on" rather than a duvet which is covering you which we keep in the back of the Cali.

Cliff Durant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top