EARTH SHUNT

View previous topic View next topic Go down

EARTH SHUNT

Post by Cliff Durant on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:31 am

No California Forum would be complete without a thread concerning the EARTH SHUNT. from 2006 Cali's forward this has been a good talking point, although hopefully cured now there are bound to be some Cali's out there that have not had their Earth shunt changed or changed incorrectly.
Basically the problem was corrosion in the earth strap under the fridge which made the electrics on board falter, I guess the appliance that was most sensitive to this was the auxilary heater which would just stop working. The cure was straightforward and most usually covered by VW, they would stripout the fridge and replace the strap(shunt) a word of caution here though as many a fridge was removed and the two sprung clips would flick into the worksurface and chip it thereby resulting in another warranty claim. this problem apparently does not affect the new model.
Here are a few posts from our loyal membership. it makes good reading. Cliff Durant.

Jack Mask
26 months ago
I can recommend Cordwallis who are adjacent to Heathrow airport. They are now experts at all aspects of the California and are always helpful and good natured. They did my earth shunt some time ago it probably took half a day to complete. If you give them notice and arrange your own insurance then they will loan you a van while they fix yours. The insurance thing just requires a phone call and in my case was free. They e-mailed a cover note to Cordwallis and that was that.
Cordwallis have completed all sorts on my van and never had a problem with them.

Like this post to subscribe to the topic
Jack Mask
26 months ago
Paul I forgot to say whoever does your earth shunt must be aware of the spring loaded bolts that shoot out when the fridge is lifted. They can damage the side of the wardrobe.
Jack
Tony Cosgrove
26 months ago
Slightly off topic I know, but can anyone tell me if all earth shunts need to be fixed or just some? How can one tell? The local van centre tells me that according to his computer record of my van, it is not listed as needing to be done, but as my warranty is just about to expire I really want to get it sorted if it is needed. They have replaced the rear leisure battery, but tell me the other one under the seat is ok.
Regards
Tony
Paul Mayfield
26 months ago
Tony, I wouldent worry.

The main issue with the shunt is corrossion of the connection, the dealers replace the lead (or shunt) and clean up the connection.

This was caused due to a school boy error by VW, placing two dissimmilar metals together, causing a reaction or rusting!

The earth shunt sounds technical, but isent really, its just a - lead from the battery to the chassis of the van. I think you can see it, open the left cupboard door, remove the inspection cover from around the waste outlet valve and look under the fridge, the connection is under there some where.
Tony Cosgrove
26 months ago
Thanks, Paul, I will have a look in the morning.
Tony
Ellie Wilding-Rush
25 months ago
Paul,

don't go anywhere near VW Reading - drop me an e-mail and i will tell you why

wild_ing2000@yahoo.co.uk

Dave

Cliff Irvine
25 months ago
They are probably worrying you more than you need - kitchen/cupboards out is a huge job, and if they have done one before then you have little to worry about. If it is such a big job as they say why don't you suggest that they sub the job out to a dealer that has done that before if you are worried. I know Cordwallis Heathrow have done a kitchen out and the tech there is a really good guy, and really knows his stuff. To be fair the kitchen is a whole one piece unit so if taken out properly and put back in correctly in one piece you may find that as the body flex and the temperature changes of being built/on the docks/on a ship etc even out the kitchen may be a tighter fit than before.

I actually don't think the floor has to come up.......I think they have to lift out the undertray in the kitchen unit.

Maybe you should ask then to ask the tech to explain himself what he is going to do, if you are not satisfied that he knows what he is doing then get this job done by a dealer where they have done the job before...
Graham Driver
21 months ago
Steve, thanks for finding the "auxiliary heating problem" topic. This is the other thread that is useful (invaluable contributions from Tim again, RIP) as it deals a bit more with the issue of the lights and LCD panel flickering when the heater is trying to fire up.

To be honest, I'm not sure that I understand the the technicalities of all this. But it sounds from Tim's post that these are two separate but related issues. I am keen that both are fixed when I take my van in.

I definitely have the flickering lights, and the aux heater will typically stop working after an hour or so's use when not on hook up. I've always been good at giving the batteries a full 12 - 24 hour charge from the mains once a month.
Anthony Davoren
16 months ago
From a German forum they indicate the earth shunt problem affects up until Feb '08 models
Liz Lawes
16 months ago
Ours was a March 08 registered and it had the problem - all fixed by Breeze in Poole last year.
Anthony Davoren
16 months ago
Sounds like it may have been the lucky last of the bad batch. I just hope I can get mine sorted quickly.
Anthony Davoren
16 months ago
The guy on the German forum who is selling the shunt leads with DIY instructions claims the '09s were also affected. I guess VW didn't know until the Calis were around for a couple of years, then it took a while for folks to figure out it was a common problem, then denial amid a fear of general recall followed by a tentative service advice bulletin and finally getting around to telling the factory engineers to change the design.
Graham Driver
16 months ago
Mine is a 58 plate and definitely had this problem. When I took it to VW they first said that it wasn't on the recall list, but then went ahead and fixed it anyway. There may have been an earlier (but slightly different?) issue. Or maybe they just decided that it wasn't worthy of a recall.

I guess many people simply never use the heater, or never use unless on hook-up, and for them the issue doesn't manifest itself.
Jason Brayley
16 months ago
Mine's an 09 but don't know if i have this problem or not - the lights flicker whenever the heater kicks in on it's regular cycle whether it's on hook up or not.
Anthony Davoren
16 months ago
Somewhere it was stated that the problem manifests after 2 to 2.5 yrs though I imagine if condensation is an issue then all sorts of factors will come in to it. Suffice to say that you'll probably get it.

Cliff Durant

Back to top Go down

Re: EARTH SHUNT

Post by joeaguilar on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:35 am

The earth shunt problem is an interesting one.
The problem with the heating could very well be to do with said shunt, but could however be to do with an altogether simpler issue.
I have heard that the heater does cut in and out or simply cuts out after a short time. This is could be to do with the battery voltage.
VW have made some changes over time to a value which is programmable. This value relates to the minimum voltage at which the battery reaches before the heating cuts out. It was set at 10.53v in the early models (2004-2006) but later revised up to 11.34V. VW did this (apparently) in order to help preserve battery life, but they found that heaters were cutting out prematurely. VW were working on the principle that if a problem was reported then the local VW dealership could re-program this value to the lower of the two. I have heard other voltage values banded around, but I believe the problem has been generally resolved on the newer models...

joeaguilar

Back to top Go down

Post by johntowers1946 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:40 pm

perhaps they revised it because it was costing too much money to repair earth shunt as i had to do myself or pay £300 for vw to do.

johntowers1946

Back to top Go down

Post by dave_p74 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:17 am

how easy is it to replace? as my dealer wanted over a grand to repair my faulty fridge.control panel tries to switch the fridge on you hear a click and then it switches itself off.

dave_p74

Back to top Go down

Post by dave_p74 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:57 pm

taking the controller out was easier than I thought. just one screw and some fiddling

dave_p74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top