The VW California Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Condensation

5 posters

Go down

Condensation Empty Condensation

Post by Admin Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:41 am

(info from facebook member)

Does anyone have any good tips to prevent condensation forming overnight on the front window? I have bought the window vents from Brandrup and find them very good, but not a total cure.

Admin
Admin

https://thevwcalifornia.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Condensation Empty Re: Condensation

Post by Admin Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:41 am

(info from member)

I don't think there is really any cure - apart from camping in warm dry weather. We tend to leave the side windows (side door & above sink) open and that does provide a flow of air. It is not ideal when it is raining, as you usually have to shut one side of the van. If its warm in the morning the trick is to get the front blinds down as soon as possible (store in the roof as per Nick's top tip) as the windows will dry out naturally.

Admin
Admin

https://thevwcalifornia.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cliff B Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:43 am

The external cover made by Taylormade is very good. It is easy to fit and cuts down the amount of condensation considerably. Having said that there is the problem of packing up in a rush when wet but that has been the only issue I have noticed.
Cliff B
Cliff B

Back to top Go down

Post by california180 Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:36 pm

I'm experiencing condensation problems on the inside of the windsceen (starts at bottom of screen) even when just parked up on drive! scratch

Chris
california180
california180

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyR Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:45 am

I also get condensation on inside of windscreen when parked at work on random days.
Am used to getting it on cars that are five years old, but on a new £40K ++ cali is not good.

AndyR

Back to top Go down

Post by california180 Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:09 am

Andy...just out of interest does yours start to condense at the bottom of the screen?
Have you found any damp anywhere as mine seems as dry as a bone but then randomly mists up Sad

Chris
california180
california180

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyR Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:34 am

Chris, yes starts at bottom & seems dry inside. Can normally clear with climatronic on windscreen setting on max. But when really bad I have to wipe with a cloth which leaves smears & is annoying.

Andy

AndyR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Daly Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:31 pm

There's a few things that might be causing this...

1) Water in the sink/bowl... slightly damp towels etc (It doesn't take much)
2) Plug not in sink... You will get evaporation from the waste tank.
3) Sliding window issues... The two sliding side windows are well known not to seal perfectly. In fact they have been modified over the years to stop water running down the interior.
4) Roof drain blocked.... When you open the tailgate you'll notice rubber grommets with holes in the centre. This is where the roof drains release water. Check they are not blocked.
5) Moisture collect in the AC/Vent system... Should clear with a good blast of the normal car heating. (This is more likely the case if it mists up when first started)

The third is the most likely in my opinion.

Check the rubber seal on the sliding glass panel. Make sure they are clean and free from dust, the same go for the surround the it seals against.

You'll know if this is a problem as there is likely to be moisture in the channel that the glass panel run in.

Hope this helps.

M
Mark Daly
Mark Daly

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyR Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:16 am

Was routing around in the Cali boot & found my day sack was damp. I had a 15l water can beside it & it was also damp.
Turns out the cap does not form a watertight seal !!! Not good on a water can.
Have emptied can & need to dry it properly. Hopefully this was the cause of my condensation, fingers crossed !!

AndyR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Daly Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:08 am

AndyR wrote:Was routing around in the Cali boot & found my day sack was damp. I had a 15l water can beside it & it was also damp.
Turns out the cap does not form a watertight seal !!! Not good on a water can.
Have emptied can & need to dry it properly. Hopefully this was the cause of my condensation, fingers crossed !!

Very likely indeed... hopefully sorted.
Mark Daly
Mark Daly

Back to top Go down

Post by california180 Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi Mark,
Many thanks for your input, though I have checked most of your points previously I did not know about 4 (roof drain) so will check that in the daylight...but my instincts are leading me to 5 (AC/Vent System) do you know if there is meant to be a drain tube or other?

Andy....I'm really jealous (sad or what) that I've not found a leaking water bottle hiding away unnoticed, as I'm sure that is going to be your culprit Smile

Thanks guys

Chris
california180
california180

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyR Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Very likely indeed... hopefully sorted.

I'm sure that is going to be your culprit

Yep me too, but can't help thinking it is too simple & not leaking enough to be the answer !
Fingers crossed !

AndyR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum