The VW California Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing water tanks & gas bottles

2 posters

Go down

Replacing water tanks & gas bottles Empty Replacing water tanks & gas bottles

Post by Admin Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:24 pm

(Info from member)

My mum, who has a motorhome, has been suggesting various changes that I could make to the Cali (even though I haven't even got one yet!). I wondered if any of them were possible?

She has suggested removing the waste tank and replacing it with a fresh water one, thereby having two, and just putting a bucket under the waste pipe. Seeing as the only waste would be coming from the tiny sink, it didn't seem like a bad idea.

Also she mentioned something about removing the gas bottle to free up the cupboard at the back and replacing it with a long flat one that fits under the van. But I might have got that wrong as I don't always listen when she's talking and I can't see how you would refill it. :-)

Admin
Admin

https://thevwcalifornia.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Replacing water tanks & gas bottles Empty Re: Replacing water tanks & gas bottles

Post by Admin Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:25 pm

(Info from member)

Yes, one can get underslung re-fillable gas tanks (don't think they're flat tho) but whether this is possible for the Cali might be another matter. I had a quick peek under mine (new to me) when it was having it's 4 wheel alignment the other day & there didn't seem to be much "spare" space under there, not that I had anything in particular in mind.

Funnily enough I was reading up about gas bottles & tanks in the Dec 09 edition of MMM (pp 181-188 "It's a gas") & noticed a comment to the effect that apparently, there then wasn't an accepted standard for installation, but something was in the pipeline (sorry!).

If this is possible, then be sure to have it done by a very reputable company with previous experience on working on the Cali. You might also like to bear in mind whether you'd have refilling availability & connectivity issues abroad?

Autosleepers are supposed to have experience on this, not sure if on the VW T5 base or even if they still make VW T5 Campervans themselves ... if no one else confirms, you could ask Autosleepers direct.

Oh ... & don't forget to mention to your insurance company if you have such an "aftermarket" alteration made.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Replacing water tanks & gas bottles Empty Re: Replacing water tanks & gas bottles

Post by Admin Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:26 pm

(Info from member)

Problem with liquid running from the van is peoples perception. We know that it is only water from the sink but you try and convince adjacent campers that all you are doing is irrigating the local flora and fauna.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:27 pm

(Info from member)

I think both of these would be incredibly expensive for very little if any benefit and would devalue your California. The gas cupboard is actually admirably well engineered for your safety! We don't use the sink, water tap or drain tank much but the arrangement you propose is NOT IMHO an improvement.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:27 pm

(Info from member)

The gas bottle is located in that part of the chassis area for safety reasons, as to water, the capacity of the existing tank is huge, more than enough to quench anyone 'sthirst until you refil, I guess your mum's van has a shower?? hence the suggestion for more water

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Daly Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:26 am

Moving the gas wouldn't really create any more room within the van as the cylinder actually sits within the fresh water tank. As such it doesn't actually take up any of t he rear cupboard space.

Although the 907's are one of the more expensive gas supplies, for the small two ring burner I have to say they last VERY long time. (3 weeks abroad and didn't have to swap cylinder...mind you that trip involved lts of wine, bread and cheese)

Still I like the fact your mum is thinking outside the box.

One of the things to remember is that the California is a campervan and not a motorhome. It might seem trivial but it's a slightly different approach. It needs a little more thought to what gets put away where and also how you live day to day.
Mark Daly
Mark Daly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down