The VW California Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roller shutter covering roof hatch stuck..

3 posters

Go down

Roller shutter covering roof hatch stuck.. Empty Roller shutter covering roof hatch stuck..

Post by SpikeH Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:39 pm

Anyway have any experience of fixing a stuck roller shutter to allow access into the roof compartment, I can open it about 1cm and then it is jamming on something.

Thanks in advance
S

SpikeH

Back to top Go down

Roller shutter covering roof hatch stuck.. Empty Re: Roller shutter covering roof hatch stuck..

Post by lewisnoble Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:01 am

Never happened to me, Spike, what a pain. Presumably, you are trying to pull back the shutter prior to putting the roof up? I have occasionally got mine stuck on the tent if closing it carelessly or with rained on specs or something, but it has never been a problem to open.

I can only suggest the obvious and probably already tried things - assuming something might have slipped down into the channels, keep jigging to and fro, perhaps pressing upwards on various parts of the shutters / blind . . . .

lewisnoble

Back to top Go down

Roller shutter covering roof hatch stuck.. Empty Re: Roller shutter covering roof hatch stuck..

Post by SpikeH Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:27 am

thanks for the reply, I figured it out in the end - the "corrugated plastic" slats of the roller bilnd have a metal insert in them, and on two of them these had protuded a few mm out on one side.

This made the sliding action of the blind skewed to one side which caused it to jam on the runners.

A delicate screwdriver job to oush the metal inserts back into the plastic slats and the thing rolled back perfectly.

Don't know how they slid out in the first place and will watch for this in future.

Thought I'd post in case anyone else has this prob in future.

Cheers
S

SpikeH

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Grover Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 am

I`ve had the same problem twice- if I remember rightly it`s easier to slide the inserts back into place if you can do it from above,that is with the roof up and you kneeling on the roof bed.That assumes you can actually get up there- it helps to have two people.

Dave Grover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down